It's Memorial Day





 It's Memorial Day.

I think of friends that I lost, like 1LT Tyler Parten (we went to two Army courses together and became really good friends, then we split up and went to our separate units. I remember walking back from the chow hall in Camp Beuhring Kuwait with my unit en route to Iraq, when I ran into a West Point class mate of Tyler's who broke the news to me).

I also think of the thousands who gave their lives to win and help to preserve our freedom over the years.

I like to view it as a day of observance for the fallen, but also a day to celebrate the freedom for which they died to save. 

Personally I do something strenuous for the former (a longer than usual workout like a 100k row-pictured- or something) then have a meal with family and friends for the latter.

I hope that you have your own ways of giving thanks for those who enabled you to have the freedoms you enjoy, and I hope you have a wonderful Memorial Day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Time I Read Tolkien in the Mojave

I used to write...

Custer Was Not a Moron